I receive a lot of questions about my sites and screencapping, and here I have tried to answer the most-commonly-asked ones. :)
About Making Screencaps
1) How do you make your screencaps? Is it just one person running this website?
Yes, it’s just me! I own a 27″ iMac, and here are the apps I use to make all the caps:
- Handbrake to rip the movie from the DVD or BluRay, at the best quality setting.
- Quicktime Player 7 to automatically make the screencaps (File > Export > Movie to Image Sequence) at a rate of 2 per second.
- Arcsoft Photo+ to quickly and easily scan through all the thumbnails and delete the bad ones.
- Apple’s Automator (included with the Mac OS) to rename and number all the caps sequentially.
- Transmit to upload the gallery to my Amazon S3 account
2) How many caps do you make per movie? Can you go back and cap this one particular still for me?
My capping program is set to automatically take 2 caps per second. No, I won’t change this – it means I end up with an average of 8,000 caps for a 90-minute movie. This is enough to capture nearly everything in a movie, it provides a good balance between storage space (and therefore cost), and number of images. And no sorry – once a movie is capped, I delete the digital file and donate the DVD, so I’m not able to go back and re-cap certain scenes for you.
3) How long does it take you to finish capping one movie?
Generally, it takes me about 3-4 days. Ripping the movie from disc takes anywhere between 1-5 hours (depending on if it’s a BluRay or not), making the caps takes 1-2 hours, sorting through the caps and deleted the credits etc takes about 30 minutes, and uploading the gallery takes about 6-9 hours. Yes, I realize I am on a very crappy internet connection (50kb upload max), but I live way out in the country so this is the fastest I can get! Lastly, listing the gallery on the site takes around another 30 minutes. Since I do all this in my spare time as I have a full-time job, it adds up to about 3-4 days.
4) Do you know of a Windows program I can use to make caps myself?
I never use Windows, so sorry, but no, I really have no idea!
5) What happens to the DVDs and BluRays after you finish capping them?
I donate virtually all of them to charity – I only tend to keep Disney Classics and the rest I give away.
About My Websites
1) How did you build your websites?
I built them using WordPress, a free and excellent CMS that can be extended to run virtually any type of website. I do a lot of web design for my job, so it was easy for me to set these sites up as I was already familiar with WordPress.
2) What WordPress Theme are you using?
At the moment, all sites in the network use the great Heap theme by Pixelgrade. I’ve only modified it a tiny bit to suit my needs – it’s very customizable yet lightweight and responsive, which is important as most gallery pages are very image heavy!
3) What WordPress Plugins do you use?
These are the plugins I have enabled on all sites in the network:
- Askimet – SPAM protection. I get hundreds of SPAM comments a week and Askimet makes sure they don’t show up for any visitors to see.
- Automatic Post Scheduler
- Categories Images
- Custom Field Template
- Drag & Drop Featured Image
- Jetpack – for Contact Form, Jetpack Comments, Photon, and Stats
- Multi-column Tag Map – I modified this myself to list Galleries instead of Tags though
- myRepono Backup Plugin – affordable and automatic backups of the site and database
- Quick Cache (Pro)
About The Memberships
1) Why should I join?
Every member who joins, helps me to keep these sites running. You help me pay the bandwidth bills, and help me to buy new DVDs and BluRays every month. As a thank-you in exchange, you get access to galleries as a 1-zip-file easy download, so you can easily save and browse them on your own computer. The caps are all watermark-free, and in the same quality as visible on the site.
2) Do I have to join?
No, of course not! I understand that not everyone has cash left over to spend on website memberships, and a lot of my visitors are under 18, and therefore unable to purchase a membership. That’s why all galleries are open to anyone to view and browse. I have banner ads running just above and below the pagination in the galleries, so if you can’t afford a membership, maybe you could turn your AdBlock off for my sites instead. :)
1) Who are you?
My name is Micah. I’m a web designer and photographer, currently living in Europe with my husband, baby daughter and my dog. I travel a lot, and am a huge Disney fan.
2) Why did you start these sites?
Out of appreciation for the film makers! It all started with DisneyScreencaps, which I created to pay homage to the absolutely stunning animations and backgrounds in Disney movies. From that, it has grown to include non-Disney, and eventually non-animated movies as there is beauty to be found in all of them, and they are so useful to anyone studying animation, film making, story telling, costume design, special effects, and much more.
Do you have a question that wasn’t answered above? Email me. :)